- In what formats are the data available?
Generally the data are in some file format like the Topological Vector
Profile of SDTS, ARC/INFO shapefile, ARC/INFO export, HDF, GeoTIFF,
or any of thousands of other formats. The format version (or date of
the format) is important to the users--this might be the version of
the program that created files in that format (for example, "ARC/INFO
Format_Name: Be as specific as possible
Format_Information_Content: What data are in this format?
File_Decompression_Technique: (if compressed) something like "gzip -d"
Transfer_Size: Size in megabytes (decimal number)
- Can I download the data from the network?
Network_Resource_Name: URL to the data
Access_Instructions: (optional) Necessary additional instructions
Online_Computer_and_Operating_System: (optional) System distributor uses
- Can I get the data on disk or tape?
Offline_Media: Name of media (CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD, QIC, etc.)
Recording_Density: (for tapes) number
Recording_Density_Units: (for tapes) bpi or some other units
Recording_Format: CD or tape format
Compatibility_Information: more text about compatibility
- How much money will it cost to get the data?
- Are there special instructions for ordering?
- How long will it take to get the data?
- Is there an informal procedure for getting the data?
Custom_Order_Process: Legal statement